Housing Information & Services

Housing Information & Services

Affordable Housing Organizations:

El Barrio’s Operation Fight Back — (212) 410-7900, Manages affordable housing units in East Harlem.

Habitat for Humanity— (212) 991-4000, Builds or renovates single family homes or multiple family apartment condominiums. www.habitatnyc.org

HOPE Community Inc.—(212) 860-8821, Develops and manages affordable rental and owner-occupied housing in East Harlem. www.hopeci.org

Palladia—(212) 979-8800, Provides permanent affordable housing units in the Bronx and Manhattan.

Organizations that can assist you in locating affordable housing:

116th Block Association (East Harlem) — (212) 860-4100, 23 E. 115th Street, Suite 3 Provides assistance to those in Community Board 11 (East Harlem).

Looking for a Shelter or Transitional Housing?

NOTE: If you see a homeless person living on the street or if you are homeless and need assistance, please call 311 and an operator will direct you to the City’s Department of Homeless Services.

Catholic Charities New York—(888) 744-7900, Offers temporary shelters for people living on the streets

Coalition for the Homeless—(212) 776-2000. www.coalitionforthehomeless.org. Provides housing for the homeless through various programs.

East Side Homeless Network (ESHN)—(212) 570-1461 Ext 120

Home Base: Assists individuals and families avoid homelessness by provide numerous homeless prevention services. Home Base offices are located throughout the city to serve different communities.

Manhattan Palladia (917) 492-1019 —2276 3rd Avenue, New York

Homes for the Homeless—(212) 529-5252, Provides housing for the homeless through the American Family Inn model which provides homeless families shelter and services at one property in Manhattan and two in the Bronx. www.homesforthehomeless.com

Lenox Hill Neighborhood House—(212) 744-5022, Assists homeless individuals to move off the streets into housing and supports formerly homeless people. Operates Casa Mutual in East Harlem that houses formerly homeless adults. www.lenoxhill.org

Pathways to Housing — (212) 289-0000 Provides assistance locating housing for homeless persons dealing with substance abuse and/or mental illness.

Women In Need Inc.—(212) 695-4758, Offers transitional housing and supportive housing in Manhattan and the Bronx. To receive shelter, all clients must be determined eligible and referred by the Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing Office in the Bronx. For information, call 311. www.women-in-need.org/


NEW YORK CITY—Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) Lotteries To get a list of affordable housing lotteries that are currently accepting applications, visit HPD online at www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/hpd/html/apartment/lotteries.shtml or call (212) 863-5610 for English and (212) 863-5620 for Spanish

NEW YORK STATE – Homes & Community Renewal (HCR):  For general information or questions visit www.nyshcr.org, call (866) 275-3427 or email HCRinfo@nyshcr.org.  To search for affordable housing visit www.nyhousingsearch.gov. For the Mitchell-Lama Hotline call (866) 463-7753.

UNITED STATES—Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Low Rent Apartment SearchSearch for affordable apartments in your area online at: www.hud.gov/apps/section/index.cfm or call HUD at (212) 264-8000 and select option 3.

NEW YORK CITY HOUSING (NYCHA) – How to get an apartment with NYCHA NYCHA is the New York City Housing Authority and they provide affordable housing to low- and moderate-income New Yorkers.

To apply to live in a NYCHA building:

  1. Fill out an application form. They can be picked up at the Manhattan Application Center (55 W. 125th Street, 7th Floor, 212-828-7100) or the Bronx Application Center (1 Fordham Plaza, 5th Floor, 718-329-7859) The centers have walk-in hours Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays from 10:00 a.m.— 5:00 p.m. The application center can also mail an application to you.
  2. Mail applications to: New York City Housing Authority Post Office Box 1342 Church Street Station New York, NY 10008
  3. Applicants will receive an acknowledgement letter within 60 days of application submission


NYC Department of Housing & Preservation Central Complaint Line:

Call 311. When calling be sure to have the following information to give the operator: · Your Name, Address, Phone Number · The Name, Address and Phone Number of the Landlord · A list of what needs to be repaired

New York State Attorney General’s Information Complaint Line: (800) 771-7755 New York City

Affordable Housing Resource Center: · For apartment maintenance complaints (e.g. heat or hot water problems) call 311 and ask for a housing specialist · For a complaint about a NYCHA development call 311 and ask for NYCHA

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Multi-Family Housing Complaint Line: 1 (800) 685-8470 · To report a bad landlord in a federal housing building WHERE TO GO WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS

New York City Rent Guidelines Board — (212) 395-2934, Assists tenants in finding answers to housing related questions, understanding tenant rights and obligations, and comprehending rental housing laws

New York State Association for Affordable Housing — Provides help to tenants and owners of rent-controlled and rent-stabilized apartments. All district offices are open from 9:00 a.m. —5:15 p.m. · Bronx Borough Rent Office, One Fordham Plaza, 2nd Floor, (718) 563-5678 · Upper Manhattan Borough Rent Office (For those living on the north side of 110th Street and above), Harlem State Office Building, 163 W. 125th Street, 5th Floor, (212) 961-8930 · Lower Manhattan Borough Rent Office (For those living on the south side of 110th Street and below), 25 Beaver Street, 5th Floor, (212) 480-6238

New York State Housing and Community Renewal — For general information or questions visit www.nyshcr.org, call (866) 275-3427 or email HCRinfo@nyshcr.org.

New York State Division of Human Rights— 1 (888) 392-3644, Call if you feel you are being discriminated against as a renter. Landlords cannot refuse to rent based on your age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, military status or family status.

Mitchell Lama Complaint Hotline— 1 (866) 463-7753, Provides help for those living in Mitchell Lama buildings citywide


Eviction Intervention Services—Housing attorneys offer tenants one-on-one advice during clinic hours, which are offered twice per week. To speak with someone at a clinic, you MUST have an appointment. Call (212) 308-2210 Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. to make an appointment. Clinics are at 1233 Second Ave, Lower Level (between 64th & 65th Streets). www.eisny.org

Fair Housing Justice Center—(212) 400-8201, Assists people with accusations of illegal housing discrimination. The center offers free counseling on fair housing rights, investigative assistance and offers referrals to cooperating attorneys.http://www.fairhousingjustice.org/index.htm

Harlem Community Law Office of the Legal Aid Society – (212) 426-3000 – provides free legal representation for eligible tenant associations, low income hosuing cooperatives (co-ops), shareholders, and/or community groups in Manhattan. Groups needing a lawyer or information on housing related matters should contact the Housing Development Unit (HDU) by calling 212-426-3000 or visiting thier offices at 230 East 106th Street, NY NY 10029. www.legal-aid.org

Housing Court Answers (formerly City Wide Task Force on Housing Court)—(212) 962-4795 Telephone assistance hotline operates from 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Staff and volunteers can provide info on housing code enforcement, violations and other landlord/tenant issues. www.cwtfhc.org/

Legal Aid Services NYC— Upper Manhattan Services—(212) 348-7449, Defends people who are being evicted in court. Assists renters with claims of rent overcharge and housing condition issues. These services are for low-income residents of Manhattan and the Bronx Legal Services NYC – Assists and defends low income individuals with housing related issues

Bronx Housing Unit—(718) 928-3684; Upper Manhattan Office— (212) 348-7449

Lenox Hill Neighborhood House (Upper East Side—South East Harlem to 110th Street)—(212) 744-5022 x 1392 www.lenoxhill.org. Offers assistance with the following: Rights of rent regulated tenants, holdover proceedings, non-payment proceedings, emergency rent assistance, obtaining repairs , Section 8, NYCHA, SCRIE. Call for more information.

Metropolitan Council on Housing—Call the tenant hotline to get advice on defending your rights. (212) 979-0611 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 1:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. There are also free tenant clinics on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at 61 East 4th Street (Between 2nd Ave & Bowery).

MFY — www.mfy.org—(212) 417-3700

Neighborhood Preservation Project— (212) 417-3812, (212) 417-3830, Helps organize tenants and provide legal support for housing groups.

MFY—Manhattan Legal Aid for Seniors—(212) 417-3880, Provides legal services to seniors in Manhattan.

Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation—(212) 822-8300, For free legal counseling, visit 76 Wadsworth Avenue in Manhattan on Mondays & Fridays from 9:00 a.m.-noon. Educates tenants about their rights and organizes them to get repairs done. Represents tenants and tenant associations in securing safe and affordable housing and avoiding eviction.

Tenants and Neighbors—(212) 608-4320 www.tandn.org , Works to protect tenant rights and affordable housing that is rent regulated housing, federally subsidized housing and city and state subsidized Mitchell Llama housing

Urban Homesteading Assistance Program—(212) 479-3300, Helps tenants develop their building into housing co-operatives. Provides legal advice to Resident Association members.

Urban Justice Center—(646) 602-5600, Offers numerous clinics that provide legal consultations in various food pantries and soup kitchens throughout the city. Call for information on when and where clinics are offered. ONLINE RESOURCES

Law Help — www.lawhelp.org Helps find free legal aid programs in your community.

New York City’s Affordable Housing Resource Center—www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/housinginfo/html/home/home.shtml For information on all aspects of City housing including renting an apartment, buying a home, and apartment maintenance issues.

NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development Department List of Current Housing Lotteries—www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/apartment/lotteries.shtml Provides list of available apartment housing lotteries citywide.

New York City Rent Guideline Board—www.housingnyc.com/index.html Establishes rent adjustments for Rent Stabilized units in New York City. Provides online resource guide to your rights as a tenant or roommate and on how to find housing.

New York City Housing Authority—www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/html/home/home.shtml Information about NYCHA, how to apply for public housing and about using Section 8 vouchers with NYCHA. Also provides list of all NYCHA housing developments citywide


The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption Program(SCRIE)freezes rent for eligible tenants and provides a tax abatement for the owner in return. To be eligible you must be 62 years of age or older, live in a rent regulated Mitchell-Lama apartment, have a household income after taxes of $28,000 or less (increasing to $29,000 on July 1, 2009), and be paying more than 1/3 of your income for rent. You must apply for SCRIE and recertify your eligibility every two years. Tenants who have experienced a permanent decrease in income of more than 20% can apply to have their benefits recalculated. Call 311 for more information.

The Disabled Rent Increase Exemption Program (DRIE) freezes the rent of disabled people living in rent-regulated apartments or Mitchell Lama buildings and provides a tax abatement for the owners. Eligible households include those receiving Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income, Veteran’s pensions or compensation, and those enrolled in the Medicaid Buy-In-Program. DRIE works in the same way that SCRIE works, except that it has lower income limits. The eligibility for DRIE varies by household size and source of income, but in general the income limit for single individuals is $18,396 and $26,460 for couples. However, there are certain deductions available. To get an application call 311 for the Department of Finance.