Message from the Chief Medical Officer
Coronavirus Update – New Patient and Visitor Policy
To ensure a safe environment for NYC Health + Hospitals patients and visitors amid the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in New York, we have updated the patient and visitor policies for all of our patient care locations.
While we understand the important role that family members and visitors play in a patient’s healing process, the new policies aim to balance the needs of patients while maintaining a safe environment for all.
Our focus remains on doing what we do best—healing those who are ill and keeping our patients, visitors, and staff safe. Rest assured that we are prepared, our protocols are updated daily, and we have clinical and operational plans in place across the health system.
For Upcoming Appointments
- If you have cold or flu-like symptoms, please consult your doctor by phone.
- If you are symptom-free, your appointments will continue as planned, and we look forward to seeing you at NYC Health + Hospitals.
For Visitors and Caregivers
- Visitors must be 12+ years old or older
- Visitors will be screened prior to entering patient areas. Sick visitors will be asked to leave.
- The number of visitors per patient will be limited; additional restrictions may be imposed based on the patient’s clinical status. See below for details.
- One visitor per adult patient.
- Two visitors per pediatric patient are allowed in the pediatric units. Only parents, guardians, or family care partners will be allowed.
- Two visitors per patient are allowed in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Only parents or support persons will be allowed.
- Two visitors are permitted for obstetric patients. Only partners and grandparents will be allowed.
Emergency Departments (ED)
- Visitors are prohibited in adult ED patient areas. For patients requiring assistance, one visitor may be permitted.
- Only one visitor per pediatric patient is allowed in the pediatric ED. Only a parent or caregiver will be allowed.
Hospital-based Outpatient Care Clinics and Gotham Health Centers
- One person is allowed to accompany each patient to an appointment, unless an aide or assistant is required.
- Any visitor who is coughing or shows other signs of illness will be asked to leave.
Exceptions will be made for special circumstances.
Machelle Allen, MD
Chief Medical Officer